Sunday, January 10, 2010

Letter to Representative

Dear Representative Davis,

My name is Eli Reed. I am currently, and have been for some time, researching water usage in America and more specifically in California. I am writing to you to express my dismay toward the issue of water mismanagement and to give my opinion on what should be done to help stop it. It has become clear that this water issue is now a crisis and action needs to be taken immediately. It is being used up much quicker than it can be replenished. If conservation does not become a daily practice in everyone’s lives, it will soon be too late to reverse.
I believe that if someone in your position addressed this issue to the Congress, more people would pay attention to it and it would lead to more actions being taken towards conservation. It seems that people may need a little shove in the right direction. I feel that if you were to propose a bill to Congress that consists of restrictions of the water usage per household to 200 gallons per citizen, not a huge cut back but a reasonable one that will slowly get to less usage per day until we are at no risk of water depletion, that would be one major step towards solving this crisis. One more idea for a proposed bill is to have incentives for buying water conserving appliances, such as shower heads, washing machines, dishwashers, and low flow toilets. I believe that incentives such as this would make people more inclined to conserve water.
Long Beach has a model which is basically what I believe all of California should be following. They are giving incentives to those who conserve water on a daily basis. They are providing rebates for companies and citizens who install water conserving devices into their homes and buildings, such as what I listed above. I believe that this is the best thing for the entire state of California to be doing.
Please take this into your consideration. I believe this is the best thing for California and I am trying to look for the best thing for its future. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment